Re: Fw: [Harp-L] 2nd position only useful in blues? was changes inlattitudes

I do use 2nd position for most of what I play, whether it is blues, jazz,
classical or John Philip Sousa marches. I play valved, so I can hit all the
notes. I practice nine scales in second position in which each of the twelve
tones of each octave is used at least twice.

There are several things I like about 2nd position.

First, it is familiar. It's easier for me to first try a piece in 2nd
position just because I use it so much - I know where everything is.

Second, It is well positioned to what I think is the sweet part of the
instrument. The range extends a fifth below the tonic and an octave above,
ending at 6. For me, 1 - 6 are the nicest sounding part of the instrument.
Many melodies can be played from a fifth below to an octave above, with
occasional forays into the upper range.

Third, I like the sound. Most tunes are played to a large extent in the
tonic, and the tonic just sounds good to me in second position. I think it's
why I like diatonics.

  -LM