Re: [Harp-L] Summertime on A Diatonic

On Oct 1, 2008, at 5:45 PM, James Sterett wrote:

Miles... Genius.

I'm no Summertime afficionado, it also seems to lay out nicely in 5th position(?)... starting on the 6 draw.

Jim.
www.mcmule.com

I never used third position because on the first 'fill in' I do (right after the word....high), I would have trouble bending the #7 draw DOWN. I'm sure most of you don't have any trouble with it. One nice thing though is that there are almost no bends at all (except way down at the bottom end) and it's pretty straightforward. Of course, in this position, you would need neither the 5 draw raised a semi-tone, nor a windsaver on the 5 draw. Soooo, a stock richter would work fine.

Unfortunately, when you try do do any improv on it, you are a little more limited than you would be in 4th with those mods I speak of. You can run up and down the harp with almost sheer impunity.
One of the reasons that I switch to a chromo is to get the slur-into- a-flat at the ends of phrases, that aren't obtainable with a diatonic. But that's a cavallo of a different color.

smo-joe