Re: [Harp-L] Re: summertime...a version (Joe and Cass Leone)

On Oct 1, 2008, at 3:30 PM, Robin Willis wrote:

I always agree with Smokey... except today. Summertime sounds so soulful on
a diatonic and it's easy enough for even me to play.

Don't fret Robin. You are STILL agreeing with me, or, to be more succint, 'I' am agreeing with YOU. Summertime DOES sound awfully good on a diatonic. In fact, at Buckeye 2007 (or maybe 2006), I used BOTH on that tune. I have always felt that one should use the proper tools for the job. A chisel works for some things, a riffler for others.

Please note that I am primarily a chromo player and use diatonics only for country, western, pop, swing, boogie woogie, jazz, rock. Im not that advanced on diatonic.

I am probably not telling anybody anything here but Porgie and Bess was Gershwin's paean to
the blues and to "black" music soooo... a diatonic sounds pretty darn good
IMHO.

Personally, I feel a diatonic sounds best, but then there are some occasions where a diatonic is too difficult ....for me.

But then anything Smokey plays sounds great.

Whoaaaaaa, here's a shocker. I wasn't aware that you had ever heard me. So few have.

smo-joe