RE: [Harp-L] OK, breaking down and buying a chromatic. Little help???

I just joined the list a few days ago - I have been really enjoying being
part of this community.

I am not a pure chromatic player but I prefer the range of an "F" or "G"
chromatic (they are tuned lower than the regular "C" chromatic"). This has
nothing to do with not wanting to learn to play in whatever key, I just like
that range.

The top end of the "C" harp just sounds too high for me and I usually stay
away from it. Of course all this comes down to the kind of music you play (I
play blues) and your taste. I know quite a few folks who love the higher
range better than the lower range.

If you get a 16 hole Chromatic you are covered on both ends. They almost too
big for me (although that's what I end up playing most of the time). Some
harmonicas have 14 holes (Suzuki's Slider and Hohner's Meisterclass are two
examples), which would give you two more holes on the lower end (starting
with the "G" note if it is a "C" harp). I never tried those...

I would definitely recommend buying a Chromatic in the key of "C". Most
instructions and older recorded tunes (especially from harmonica bands) will
use C tuned harmonicas. Whether or not you'd like a 16 hole or a 12 hole
better, who knows (but maybe you). If it was me I'd by a 16 hole (which is
what I did when I bought my first chromatic) - more holes the better :)

A.C.