Re: [Harp-L] re: history

Mmm....of course, it wasn't William Shakespeare who wrote all those plays and poems; it was another bloke with the same name.
RD

On Nov 17, 2008, at 6:17 PM, Jonathan Ross wrote:

> "O.K. I didn't consider it a claim. I was thinking more along the
> lines of Richter being the Abner Doubleday guy of harmonicas and I
> meant Joseph is who people were probably actually talking about. I
> didn't go into detail because it wasn't my point. My point was
> Anton Richter was a plumber. He didn't make any harmonicas.

How do we know?...for sure, I mean. A lot of people hold one job and
do something different as an avocation (or hobby). Another thing to
consider. I personally know 4 people names Bill West, and 3 people
names Glen Young, 3 named Dave Smith, 3 named Dave Williams, and even
3 Joe Leones. I don't see it as inconceivable that there could be
more than one Anton Richter. Both names are common.

> Thus you can scratch Anton off the Richter scale.
> On Joseph, personally, I think there is no evidence. It's doubleday
> commission all over again, only this time with the only non-
> religous thing as sacred as baseball - the harp. "
>
> I simply don't believe this.  I believe that you meant what you
> originally wrote in terms of the origins of the harmonica and are
> now backtracking from an untenable position.

While a small child growing up in Europe, none of my British friends
lived near enough to me to play with. I only saw them at school. So,
I played with myself. Quit laughing. Ooooh, you people. Anyway, while
in 3rd grade I began to read our Doubleday encyclopedias. Starting
backwards from Z, I was only able to get down to Aardvark. Now, you
tell me that all that work was for naught?     lol