From: David Fertig <drfertig@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:58:54 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] deadly dunking for degunking and comb tightening

Back in the day (1970-72, or until I came upon SP20s) many a time I'd dunk my rather  abused MBs into a glass of beer or whiskey, and the effect would be a temporary rejuvenation of the reeds which would have become seemingly tight, and tightening of the comb which had become leaky.

I think this was actually due to a sort of cleaning effect upon the reeds, combined with re-expansion of the wood comb which had - after being exposed to moisture, expanded, then with drying, contracted.  The prior moisture might have been just my own with normal use, or perhaps a prior dunking.

Because I was then using nailed harps, taking them apart was problematic (I occasionally strolled into High School Shop classes from CN to FL to CA as though a student, and availed myself of their tools including jewelry anvils to hammer out crushed covers, and various solutions for loose cover nails).

Anyhow, I think dunking them in whiskey (less swelling than beer, more of a solvent, and I preferred whiskey anyway) was a way to slightly degunk the harp without disassembly.

Ultimately, it was a drag, as the comb got essentially ruined by all the soaking, but for a while, the soaking would revive it until it's inevitable demise.  But it did extend the death spiral of a beaten and battered harp, which was good 'cause the cost a whopping $3.50 each when the minimum wage was like 65 cents an hour!

-Dave Fertig

As has been suggested..., just promise us you won't get that harp drunk...,
declare it a failure... And then shoot it!!
Have a heart for that hapless harp,
Brad Trainham