From: "Philharpn@xxxxxxx" <Philharpn@xxxxxxx>
To: gwoodhouse40@xxxxxxx; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2008 12:17:48 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Need Help Richter Tuned "Chromatic" Harmonica Options

Koch is tuned like 10-hole Richter Marine Band and does not have
windsavers/valves. Usually the same piece of plastic is called a windsaver on chromatic
and a valve on diatonics -- both are designed to reduce air leakage. The Koch is
rather leaky compared to the Hohner Slide Harp. Both are sold by Hohner and
both used to be available in C & G but now may be available only in C.

The Slide Harp 10-hole has windsavers or valves on the first 6 draw reeds and
last 4 blow reeds. This is called half-valved. This allows blow bends on the
Slide Harp on the first 6 holes like those achieved Jimmy Reed style on the
top end of the standard 10-hole diatonic. This single-reed bend is the same kind
of bend available on solo-tuned chromatics. Both the Slide Harp and Koch are
capable of draw bends on holes 1-4,6 and blow bends on holes 8-10 because of
the reed layout.

The Hering Richter tuned slide harp is a chromatic that has full valves just
like a regular solo-tuned chromatic and as a result will not bend like a
conventional Richter tuned diatonic because the valves/windsaver interfere. I think
the one I have has 10 holes and has a gold antique colored covers.

All of these Richter layout harps lack access to the note A in the first
octave without bending. There is no way to get that note by pushing the lever.
That is because the lever raises notes a half-step and there is no note in the
first octave Ab/G# that can be raised to A.

Don't know anything about Seydel other than the two wonderful 12-hole
custom-tuned chromatic deluxe models I have that were factory-tuned to C7 and G7
chords. But Seydel can build you what you want at a reasonable price. I suggest
you get a half-valved richter tuned whatever number of holes you need. The
half-valving doesn't interfere with any bending and reduces air leaks.

Hope this helps.
Phil Lloyd