Re: [Harp-L] Bluegrass Chromatic Harmonica

Winslow,
I started off playing chromatics in different keys, but fell into a rut. My improvised lines starting sounding too similar. A jazz musician friend urged me to force myself to play every tune on a C chromatic, regardless of the key. This was the best advice I ever received.

It was very challenging at first, and I had to practice scales in various keys. Eventually, however, I learned that each key has its own strengths and weaknesses; each key suggests different riffs as being more natural than others. Then I learned to “cross-pollinate”-- translating what I learned in one key to others, making a few natural modifications. As a result of playing all keys on a C chromatic, my improvising became far more interesting, and my musical vocabulary greatly expanded. Don’t know if this approach will work for everyone, but it sure worked for me.

Today, I rarely switch chromatics and often attend jams with only a C chromatic. The only time I consider switching to other keys this is when I’m trying to play the head to a tune that is played very fast and in an awkward key. The bluegrass tune, Rebecca, for instance, is usually played in the key of B and is typically played ridiculously fast. Unless I’ve just consumed a Doppio Macchito, I’ll switch to a B chromatic.

Best regards,

David Naiditch, www.davidnaiditch.com