From: Bill Romel <romel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Payne David <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 3:02:01 PM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] cracked chromaic comb repair video

Harp-L

The best solution to a cracked wood comb for a chromatic is to  have it
replaced with a machined acrylic comb with custom brass inserts and
stainless steel screws.  This will solve the cracked comb problem provide
an upgrade to a perfectly good chromatic harmonica that will last a
lifetime.  The instrument will be air tight and leak proof.  Unaffected by
temperature or humidity problems and maintenance is a breeze.  Reed Plates
mounted independently so only one has to be removed to be worked on  if
necessary.

The other solution, is to seal the crack with epoxy very carefully.  Leave
one plate on to act as an anchor,  place some wax paper in the slot where
the crack is located and fill in the crack with 5 minute epoxy cement.  Let
dry for 24 hours.  This usually works very well.
Don't,  I mean don't squeeze the comb together and then add the epoxy.
Just fill in the crack and let dry.  If you squeeze the comb together, you
will ruin the slot alignment and the reed plate may not fit correctly.

Best Regards,

Bill Romel

hadn't gotten around to posting, so I uploaded it. Much easier than
explaining in an e-mail.