Re: [Harp-L] cracked chromaic comb repair video

Those are wonderful combs you make, Bill. Absolutely wonderful. I respect and bow to your mastery in this area, you've been at it so much longer than I have been alive, there's a lot I learn from reading your posts, probably very little you could learn from reading mine, so I add this primarily for others' consideration. I really want to make sure I make that clear.

The wood combs I have have lasted my lifetime. My oldest has been in use for 17 years, it remains one of my best chromatics. After a good sealing, wood isn't negatively affected by the elements, unless, I suppose, you left it in a creek for a while and when you sand them flat, they get a lot tighter. Maintenance on wood I've sealed is the same as plastic.
My experience with leaving only one plate as an anchor is the convex reedplate will bow and take the comb along with it. I have remedied this with a board and C clamps, but found that, for me, it's easier to make an intial repair to make it hold for the primary repair, and both reedplates as anchors. The reasons I use a good ol' school glue are 1) it's always handy and 2) I can scrape some off here and there easily and 3) if I accidently get some on a reed, it isn't a big deal. After sealing, I have seen no affects whatsoever from moisture getting in there.
But that's just me, everybody has a different way of doing things and I'm totally going to try that wax paper thing you mentioned. In the day, I used to flintknap, make flint knives, arrows and things. Binding a flint blade to a handle with fiber (cordage) wasn't very effective, nor was glue. Put the two together and it held like it was molded on with Fiberglas...

My process breaks down on the Koch valveless chromatics. It's too small inside to do the repair from the top and that's usually when I do a repair like the one you suggested.

As you said, one can not stress enough the importance of not squeezing the comb together. The comb length of a broken comb is comb/air gap/comb. Remove the air gap by squeezing and you've got a shorter comb. Has to be filled in.

All that said, I'm a firm believer that wood chromatic combs ought to be sealed and a cracked comb repair on a comb that is left unsealed does not address the root of the problem that caused it to crack in the first place.

Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com