[Harp-L] Subject: The enigmatic gg postulates on Dave the Senior of Payne and Angel Eyes

Not so incomprehensible, actually, Rick ;)

....I believe he's saying that SmoJoe's gorgeous rendition of the Matt
Dennis penned jazz version of Angel Eyes isn't at all the same as the (much  later)
Jeff Healey "Angel Eyes", which became  Healey's theme song,  and that SmoJoe
probably wouldn't be interested in playing that version,  though groovy gypsy
would quite enjoy hearing him 'rock out'.   I  quite second that
motion...SmoJoe has more surprises up his sleeve than he ever  lets on.   :)

  I loved the latter song, and it was the only 'Angel Eyes' I  knew until
hearing Smokey's jazz performance at Buckeye 2007. Never knew  there were two, so
did a wee bit of research.

Ella Fitzgerald (among other jazz singers), did versions of it, but hers is
probably the best vocal rendition I've found.

SmoJoe's brilliant harmonica rendition blew me away and I'm now a huge fan
of the song...but I'll always have a soft spot for Jeff Healey and HIS  'Angel
Eyes'...

** I play it on a C chrom, Denny...beginning on 6blow for lst note:  'Girl'
- "you're looking fine, tonight" - its tone works and the  song lays out very
well on a CX-12.

Here are YouTube videos of both songs:

Ella Fitzgerald singing her incomparable version in 1957

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m6vtHIXzF8_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m6vtHIXzF8)

Keep in mind Jeff Healey was blinded as an infant by the brain cancer which
eventually killed him early this year) and played his guitar across his lap
while this, his theme song was rife with references to vision, sight and  eyes.

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYz_LHKrgDY_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYz_LHKrgDY)

and.....

just for the heck of it, and why so many people suggest thinking  outside of
the box and listening to vocalists and other instrumentalists in  order to
play harmonica with feeling, here is Ella singing Georgia:

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCsxZfQqSdA_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCsxZfQqSdA)

(This is truly a voice as musical instrument...who needs to play anything
else when one has this kind of vocal prowess?)

...and singing Summertime in Berlin in 1968.....mindblowingly  good:    :)

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOuLZ2zcY0_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOuLZ2zcY0)

Elizabeth

******