[Harp-L] RE: Replacement reed plates vs replacing reeds

________________________________
> To: robertpcoble@xxxxxxxxxxx; Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Replacement reed plates vs replacing reeds
> Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 09:40:05 -0400
> From: captron100@xxxxxxx
>
>> Robert wrote:
>>
>> I have the Lee Oskar toolkit, the Seydel toolkit and the Bill Romel reed replacement tool.
>
> Robert, I assume your Seydel kit contains their reed replacement tools. Which do u prefer -
> the Bill Romel tools or the Seydel reed replacement tools?
>
> ron

The Seydel removal tool is a modified pair of pliers. It snaps out a rivet pretty quickly. The
Seydel toolkit assumes that you are going to use nuts and bolts as the replacement, so
there is no provision for tightening down a new rivet. I got the Seydel toolkit from Dave
Payne, Sr. at Elk River Harmonicas. He is a great harp professional. He has been very
helpful to me, answering many questions, before and after the sale. (He's also someone
who writes very good stuff on Harp-L. When Dave speaks, I listen.)

The Romel tool removes rivets AND helps to lock down a new rivet. If you are replacing
reeds with rivets, it's the better tool. I got the Romel toolkit directly from Bill Romel. He is
the consumate professional. I ordered several other tools (reed shims, etc.), and Bill
suggested that I didn't need all of them. He could have just shipped them, but he didn't.

I like using both of them. Both toolkits come with instruction sheets. If you're going to
replace reeds on a regular basis, both tools will help you do the job.

Regards,
Crazy Bob