Re: [Harp-L] Neumann TLM 103 vs Rode K2 mics for recording

Hi Eugene,

It was interesting to listen to the audio samples with harmonica on different mics. I'm now into recording myself and I test different mics in different set-ups.

Back to the issue of recording session for Winslow, it depends on what recording set-up is of preference - hand held mic or not. Once it's not expensive and mics are available, I'd recommend to use ribbon mics like Beyerdynamic M160 hand held along with the condenser like u87i. Or combination of a condenser like AKG 414 or U87i and M130 (figure of 8).

One of the best set-ups would be sennheiser 441 and AKG 414 in MS stereo - Senn 441 as a mono mic and AKG 414 in figre of 8 mode.

No matter what mic/mics chosen, mic placement is a huge issue and should not be ignored. I chatted with Norton Buffalo and after thorough illucidations I finally got to the point - read about such mic placement dozen of times but could not figure it out on practice while recording. Just in case it's not late - have your condernser on a gooseneck mic stand  with its top pointing to the floor (it should be a side mic - so you body should face the mic's diaphragm when standing in front of the mic) - then bring the mic toward you at some +/- 45 degrees in relation to the foor - mic's diaphragm is at the level of your chest or neck - your hands with the harmonica face the mic's diaphragm directrly at 90 degree angle - some 6-8 inches from the mic's diaphragm - nose wind goes well over the mic body - no direct flow to the diaphragm.

Best,

Alex

>>> "Eugene Ryan" <ryan.eugene@xxxxxxxxx> 20.05.2008 20:59:27 >>>
Hey Winslow,

I hope it's not too late for your project - I put up some samples of
different mics (Neumann U87, 4007 Bruel & Kjaer / DPA, AKG 414, Shure
545) for anyone that's thinking of using one of those mics on
harmonica or piano:
http://www.eugeneryan.com/gear.html

What mic did you pick in the end?

Eugene