Re: [Harp-L] AN HELP ABOUT FENDER BLUES DE LUXE REISSUE AMP.

The circuit was designed for 12AX7s.

12AU7s draw more current than 12AX7s.

Even though they produce less overall gain.

Be careful if there are Op-amps in that series circuit or other
less-than-robust components, they might not be able to handle the extra
current.

Older point-to-point wiring amps with good old American Made Allen Bradley
resistors etc, are not going to have any problems with the extra heat but
newer amps with a mix of solid state components and fiberglass etched
circuit boards built by bean counters looking to clip corners by using
less-than-robust components to maximize the $$ profits might have a problem
with the larger currents drawn by 12AU7s.

I'd recommend a 12AY7 in V1.

If that doesn't tame it enough, try a 12AY7 in V2, the gain stage for the
tone stack.

The Phase inverter V3 can also be changed to a 12AT7.

I don't recommend swapping to 12AU7s in a modern circuit board amp because
of the higher current they draw.

PEACE
Scott
Believe in Magic!