re: [Harp-L] Re: Prison Harp

i have a similar story, completely true

when I was living in brazil in the '80's, I ended up in prison for almost two months.

I had a lot of trouble getting out....smuggled a note and someone made a call for me and I finally got out.

I was sleeping in a tiny cell with five other inmates, one was a murderer and the overhead lights stayed on all the time, the bed was a thing piece of plastic with two inches of foam and the toilet was a hold in the floor. It was the real deal, machine guns on the rooftops thing in the once a day walk in the prison yard.

I was harrassed and threatened...the only thing that kept me safe (being a gringo who did not speak portuguese at the time) was my harmonica.....they let me keep it and played it constantly.

this is a true story, with no exaggeration,

randy singer

Begin forwarded message:

[Harp-L] Re: Prison Harp
Posted by: "David Fertig" drfertig@xxxxxxxxx
Mon May 19, 2008 12:12 pm (PDT)

Rob, the piece sounds great! Your words brought back a memory:

In '73 a friend and I were arrested in Colorado for killing a couple Kansas State Troopers (no we DIDN'T do it!) and for the 40 hours before they caught the actual perps (what a relief!!) they let me keep my marine band harp in my cell. I learned that when they think you're a cop-killer you get lots of cold respect, I guess 'cause they assumed we were going to be executed, they treated us with kid- gloves. They let me play it unabated, for hours and hours on end. Man, I was playin' some serious blues . . .

They'd taken my shoelaces and belt, seemingly unaware of the potent weapon I had in my hands. At first I thought they liked the music, but on reflection I think they were hopin' I'd pry off the shields and slash my wrists. Instead it saved my remnants of sanity. For a while, anyhow!

-Dave Fertig