Re: [Harp-L] my recording rights?

Hi All,

Point of reference on the topic, though it deals with on-camera film in my case.

Our trio was approached by film producer Paul Thomas Anderson regarding appearing in his upcoming 1999 film "Magnolia" after having caught us on stage in Los Angeles.

I was not involved in the business end of the arrangements, but was glad to hear that he did in fact want us to be included. So our business manager followed up on the matter. After spending one day rehearsing on stage at the film studio, and another day at the wardrobe fitting, then six days in the film studio, we were in fact included in the film!

Check it at:
http://www.bassharp.com/nwht-magnolia.htm

My point is that after we were finished with our minor part in the film, and well before the film was wrapped, I learned when checking with the AFM Local 47 (Musicians Union - Los Angeles), they had not be notified, and we stood to loose some serious money without credits. So I did the paperwork, which greatly increased our interest in the project! Then later I learned from our business manager that he had "informed" the union of our project, and we could expect more pay than he had initially been offered. To this day he is unaware that it was I who had "taken care of business," and not he, but for that, he receives double the payment that we as trio members receive! We still receive a mere pittance every July 1, but even that is greater than it would have been initially!

My point: yes, you must speak up for yourself if you wish to be properly compensated for your work/art/whatever you do.

Danny
--
BassHarp

 * Available for Session Work