[Harp-L] Re: U blocking, embouchures

Hey All,

Just chiming in.

    There's quite a bit of controversy around embouchures, not any less
with the chromatic harmonica.

I use a form of embouchure that could be called U block, or channel blocking.
It doesn't in any way look like someone rolling their tongue like when people try to
show how to do it. The tip of my tongue stays on the bottom rail of the mouthpiece, and I
articulate the air with either my teeth on my tongue or epiglottal stops, like when you make a "coo" sound.
There's other stuff involved, but I try not to think about it too much. I came to this approach through
thousands and thousands of hours of practice, trial and error, and emulating different instruments.
I wouldn't sell a technique book pushing this embouchure, but I always show my students what it
looks and sounds like.

I've run into lots of players with strong opinions about "the right way" to play the instrument. I would be weary
of anyone trying to impress their approach, and only that approach, on a new student. It's just not fair. Even
if a student tries to emulate everything exactly the way their teacher or idol does it, there are no guarantees.
I learned this the hard way with the saxophone: Everybody has their own sound. You can buy all the same gear
and even marry your idol's widow, you're still going to sound like you. We all have different mouths and bodies,
and they make a big difference.

As Robert said, for any approach, there are advantages and disadvantages. I feel that with my approach,
I have a fuller sound, a thicker tone, and more expressive control than many players; but at the expense of speed, and in some cases,
dynamic control. If I want to play a fast staccato passage, I have to switch to pucker, which alters my tone.
If I want to play harmonic octaves or wide intervals, I have to use tongue blocking. If I wanted to play a very fast succession of rising or falling
octave intervals, I would have to practice my corner switching more, like Robert tried to teach me years ago!

When I teach beginning students harmonica, I never teach them that one embouchure is better than the other.
I tell them each one has its merits and shortcomings, that they should experiment and find the one they are most comfortable with.
I also tell them that, inevitably, as the late Doug Tate used to say, they should "learn all of them"!

Most instruments have different schools of how to approach them, in classical and jazz/pop. Ask around, get different perspectives.
Ask yourself what your strengths and weaknesses are, and once you've exhausted the possibilities through practice, try someone
else's ideas too. The more open minded you are in music, the more possibilities will exist for you.

Thanks guys

Damien Masterson http://www.damienmasterson.com or enter my name in any search engine http://www.myspace.com/damienmastersonmusic http://cdbaby.com/all/damienzm 415 305 7138 dzm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Damien Endorses Hohner Harmonicas and Audix Microphones