Re: [Harp-L] my recording rights?

"Brian Stear" asked:17.05.2008 2:56:40 >>>
I recently got asked to play harmonica on a song someone is recording for a CD. He's then going to tour with the group. He's very happy the way it turned out. He paid me some gas money and plans to give me a healthy discount at his used record store. At the time I said that was fine.
My question is this;
Since we verbally agreed ( no handshake ) on compensation, am I within my rights to ask to be given credit on the CD for my part on the song? Mind you, I don't want royalties or anything. I just realized after the fact that without my name on the CD, I really don't have any way to prove my work. I can say I did it, but have no way of proving it. For example, I used to play with Koko Taylor, but I don't have any pictures or something in writing to prove it.
This won't happen again. I'll ask the person this next week when I see him. Hope it works out, but.......
Is this something in the future that should always be in writing?

Hi Brian,

In a nutshell, yes you are perfectly within your rights to ask for a credit on the CD. If you played on it, you should be credited, and you probably will be. Most CDs list all the contributing musicians as a matter of course, and I would be surprised it you're not credited.

Having said that however, the guy who hired you (let's call him the producer for lack of another term) is also perfectly within his legal rights not to mention you (or any other musician on the CD) if that what he/she wishes. It's not terribly ethical, nor likely to happen, but it can happen on any recording. Take a look at virtually any recording from the 50s and 60s -- the sidemen almost never got mentioned.

As to trying to get things in writing for the future: a fine concept but not altogether practical on most of today's recording scene. I've played on about 200 CDs and there were contracts on perhaps 20 of them -- union sessions requiring paperwork. The other 180 were loose sessions where I played and got paid. No paperwork. Theoretically *any* of those recordings could have been issued with no credit for my playing, but I can't recall any that actually came out that way...

Most musicians and producers are pretty ethical, but even when there are contracts, screwups can happen. I sang and played in an Eddie Murphy movie years ago and the screen credit listed the songwriter as the performer instead of moi. <shrug> Another time I sang the end title to a feature film, and when it came out there was no screen credit at all. Sh*t happens. Sure, I could've initiated lawsuits -- and if the films had been huge hits maybe I would have -- but the films kinda tanked, and besides in suing I would have burnt my bridges with half the film scorers in the country. So instead I got a piece of the song's publishing, which ended up being more lucrative in the long run anyhow. :)

Long story short, welcome to the Recording Industry (Motto: "Where every day is better than the next.")

cheers,
Tom Ball