Subject: [Harp-L] holding harp in right hand vs left

Well, I'm primarily a chromatic player, who has 'dabbled' in diatonic play
here and there and even taken some rudimentary lessons from some really good
player/instructors.

I'm right handed but am terribly uncomfortable holding a diatonic in my  left
hand, so I'm like you.  It's much more natural to hold it in my right  hand,
and not 'wrong way up' either, as some people have suggested.   Whenever the
few instructors at conventions insisted I switch to my left  hand, it was just
too awkward and didn't help me play at all. So I decided on my  own that when
I do finally devote the time to learn diatonic harp (once  I've gotten further
down the road with chromatics) ...it'll be how it feels  right to ME, and not
what I'm told I should do.

 You have to continue down your own path and not play how other people
do...though I'm no pro and can only advise you based on my observances of some
very good players of my acquaintance who made their own way and hold and cup
their harps in their own individual styles. Everyone plays just a wee bit
differently than each other...watch some of the teaching videos  on YouTube...Jason
Ricci's, Adam Gussow's, Ronnie Shellist's (who all know,  respect and like
each other)...you'll see  how differently each holds their harps.

There are loads of other good players whose styles are also vastly
different.  You can do a search...watch how they play.  No one's style  is the same as
another, regardless of which hand they use for holding the  harp.  What if you
had a left-hand injury (or a missing hand?) One would  have to adapt, so
what's so unusual about using the other hand?  I  personally think the whole idea
of insistence upon using the left hand for  righties is simply tradition.
Perhaps it'll take a tad longer to  adapt some specific techniques to your style
of playing, but it certainly has to  be better than redoing your past 5
years...to my way of thinking.

 I completely agree with the idea of playing what fits and feels good  to you
and not to follow the crowd because other players do things a particular
way.  Doesn't mean theirs is the 'correct' way for you, and seems  to me that it
would be more of a 'hindrance' unlearning what you've been  doing for 5
years...and would most likely set you back and throw you  off, rather than helping.

However one arrives at producing one's own music is, after all the  'right'
way for you.

Elizabeth

Message: 10