Re: [Harp-L] What to bring to a jam

>Other than that you are headed towards almost certain doom since
>understanding the needs of a harp player seems beyond anyone else's >ability to care.... except us.

I have had reasonable success sitting in with bands in clubs with small PAs, just hooking up an Audix Fireball V to the XLR cable that was plugged in to the vocal mic on stage and adjusting my own volume.  Be sure the volume is down when you plug in.  Make sure that no one is going to sing in that stage mic on the songs you are on!  The Fireball V does have highs similar to a vocal mic, but it has good bottom end and seldom will feed back with normal vocal mic PA settings.  It works fine with settings that would cause problems with cupping a Shure 57 or 58 that is EQed for vocals.  You have to adjust the Fireball's volume so you are heard in the room, but not so loud that you make people's ears bleed.  It is good to have someone in the audience to signal up or down.  I just leave the vocal mic in the stand and use the cable.  So far no one has had a problem with me hot swapping XLR connector mics... That way the sound man doesn't have to get involved.

If you are at a gig with a big PA system and you can talk with the sound man before playing, explain your needs and ask him to roll off some highs on your channel when you play.  In my experience people would prefer that harp players don't cup the club's or band's vocal mics.  Ask first if you intend to use their vocal mic to cup.

If you are playing a whole set, then it is best to bring your own cable and mic, set up at a break before you play, and work with the sound man.  If harp players are polite and deferential with sound men, and explain harp needs, most sound men (sound persons?) will be happy to build new skills that they can use in the future, so they become better at their jobs.  But you have to approach them with a proper attitude, asking if they have worked with harp players before and explaining your needs.  In my experience, a good sound man wants the music to sound as good as it can sound.

The alternative to messing with your own mic is to work on your technique just using the regular vocal mic on it's stand without cupping, and shaping tone with your hands.  This works fine and develops acoustic technique, unless the mic happens to be very hot and easily feeds back.  You have to learn what distance works with the mic as it is set up, and you risk squeals.  I prefer the Fireball V, as there is little risk of feedback.

Doug