Re: [Harp-L] right hand vs left

The last couple of posts have brought up an excellent point.  If you'll notice, my post earlier was heavily caveated, using general terms.  I write that way because, I share the philosophy that there is no "right" way to achieve competant harmonica music.

  I 100% believe it is up to the individual to focus on creating the best tone they can, regardless of technique.  This topic comes up every few months.  Someone invariably mentions Bruce Lee ("What is the highest technique you wish to attain?"  to which Bruce replies "No technique")

  I began life as a right-handed player holding the harp in my right hand.  I re-taught myself because just about every harp player I ever met, who was righty, held left.  I've tossed out theories as to the reasoning behind this, for the fun of discussion, but you have to admit, there must be something to so many players holding it the same way.  Maybe it's just tradition.

   I initially entered the discussion because I was annoyed by a particular post that lacked predicates, but it's a valid topic nonetheless.

  Folks who have what it takes to internally drive themselves to be good players will almost always find ways to make the harp sound good. Some, though, have to go through a more discrete approach, specifically learning (or being taught) the more "common approaches" to the instrument.  Once mastered, they can eventually change techniques, or discard the "norm" to find their own way.

  I used to think everyone learned they way I did.  (pretty much figure it out on your own) but since posting on youtube and getting hundreds of questions on subjects I take for granted, I've realized that many people need more structure.  As such, I'll default to telling a beginner that "you can do it anyway you want, but most people do the following".  I try to think of it as guidance without dogma, because every time I've bought into harmonica dogma, I've been proven wrong.

  d.g.

Mox GOWLAND wrote: > one technique that comes to mind is the shake