Re: [Harp-L] FENDER BLUES DE LUXE REISSUE: THE BEST WAY TO FIT IT FORHARMONICA.

Try putting a 12AY7 in V1.  Or a 5751 but that's almost twice the gain of
the 12AY7.  You can always pull them out and put the 12AX7's back in.  I
plug-n-play with preamp tubes alot.  They all sound a little different.
Even when swapping one 12AXY for another - a 1960's Sylvania for a late
1950's Mullard and so on.

If that's not enough drop in gain, try swapping the phase inverter to a
12AT7.
That's V3

According to the circuit description, V2 provides for the lost gain in the
tone stack.  I suppose you could try a 12AY7 there too.

I would be leery of putting a 12AU7 in there because of the greater current
a 12AU7 draws.  It might be too much for the other components in there.

In a vintage all-tube amp with hand-wired point to point construction and
first rate components I'd not hesitate to put 12AU7's in there, but the
modern stuff is designed by bean-counter engineers who skimp on the
heavy-duty components to save a few pennies.  So skip the 12AU7's.

Here's a copy of the Service Manual  PDF
http://blueguitar.org/new/schem/fender/blues_deluxe-deville_reissue.pdf

You can always get a hot-plate or other heat sucker to allow you to turn it
up for the crunchy tone and keep it at lower volume.

PEACE
Scott
Believe in Magic!