Re: [Harp-L] Top 10 YouTube harmonica clips

Now that's good stuff, Dennis. Nice chrom, halfway between 'open' third position and 'on the button'.  Good outfit as well.
Even so, why do I get this sinking feeling when I hear a band from somewhere outside of the US, and in particular, from a place rich with it's own musical traditions doing an ersatz-cabaret Chicago blues thing? Yeah  yeah...very good and all that...but it's a bit like travelling halfway round the world to eat at a MacDonalds; just kind of disappointing...why leave home? Of course there's give and take  as well;  US pop-culture in the forties was pretty well Carmen Miranda-ized (in it's turn giving the shove to the previous 'hot sauce' of the moment, Hawaiian music/shirts/drinks/food &c.) It gets worse of course; South East Asia drenched in disco music for example. One of my workplace colleagues, a Vietnamese in her 60s turned up her nose at a CD of some of Pat Conte's collection of traditional Viet. music, and smilingly handed to me some examples of the former junk. Bleehh!!
OK you post-modernists...lemme haveit...a nice churlish slap-over-the-wrist from the Bulldog, a history lesson from Winslow....(why oh why don't Eskimos - sorry, Inuits- wear sealskin suits & live in Igloos anymore!?)
OK, thats it from me; I have to swot up on my Rolf Harris tunes for a bush-dance tonight....
RD

South American cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu8KU3lNIYc
http://www.myspace.com/blowintheblues