Re: [Harp-L] Re: Bass Harmonica Books

>Learning to play the Bass Harmonica, by Judy  Simson-Smith(1984), Simson &
>Smith Publications, 2398 Southern Rd.
>Richfield, OH 44286-9520. Phone: (330) 659-6458. The Simpson & Smith
>Publications are sold at J.L Dyer Music, 337-S.16th St.,
>Otsego, MI 49078. Phone: (616)694-6052. Simpson-Smith Publications also
>offers superb books written for the chord harmonicas......
>John Broecker

I bought my Chordette from Dyer, it came with Mr. and Mrs. Smith's How to Play Chordet. It's a good book, I imagine their bass book is similar, it's maybe 15 or 20 8x11 single-space typed pages of info about the Chordet, there's tables to show you where the chords and bass notes are. Most of the book is actually exercises, which are good practice.
It's bound like you might have it done at Staples, got the plastic binding, but that's the way it's supposed to be. People used to publish books like that all the time in the old pre-internet days.
That book has really helped me. If you look at the chordet, it appears you can not play it in E, but when you look at the tables in the book, you can see the possibilities... a very easy two-beat bassline in E.

Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com