[Harp-L] RE: Cristo Redentor

Hi list, I had a chance to talk with Charlie and his band after his
shows in Green Bay this past February about this song.  Kid Anderson
and his bass player Mike said they talked Charlie into doing an
arrangement that is pretty close to the original Donald Byrd version
with the key modulation and they are doing the song in Bbm, so
Charlie is playing an Ab harp in 3rd position.  He switched harps at
the part when the key changes, and he said he switches to a different
Ab harp (standard tuning) because he likes how one plays on the low
and middle octaves and has one that he likes better for the high
octave.  He had mostly Seydels in his case at these shows.  I'm not
sure how long they've been doing it this way live, but it sounded
amazing.

Paul Sabel

<If you like Musselwhite's version, you should also listen to the
 original version by trumpter
Donald Byrd (with the Donald Byrd Voices).  You'll hear that Charlie
 simplified the chord changes
for harmonica leaving out a key modulation.  I like the original
 progression better.>

Be a better friend, newshound, and