Subject: [Harp-L] Boston harmonica teachers?

Hey Alison:

Your request for a harmonica teacher is not 'spam', in any way, shape or
form. The idea of the list is supposed to be about promoting the advancement of
the harmonica, and what better way to do so than to encourage a newcomer?

It's a perfectly legitimate request. Please don't get the impression that
everyone only wants to hear about 'gear' (amps and mics and such), or that
everyone here is a professional musician.  Not so.  Some of  us are amateurs and
are happy to talk about actual music and  different types of
harmonicas...including lessons from or info about harmonica  teachers.  There have been many
requests like yours before.

I found this link online to the Passim School in Cambridge.  If you  glance
down the list of musicians (past the guitarists)...there is a Lloyd  Thayer
about to begin a class of Harmonica lessons:

_http://www.clubpassim.org/musicschool/?school=current_
(http://www.clubpassim.org/musicschool/?school=current)

I've found in a recent issue of Harmonica Happenings (SPAH  magazine): some
Harmonica Clubs in Ma. Don't know if they're in your immediate  area or not.
But even if they're not accessible to you, they might know of  teachers to
recommend, so could be worth a phone call with the  understanding that most clubs
are primarily focused on the playing of chromatic  harmonica:

Cambridge Harmonica Orchestra
7 Hatch Road, Box 699, Truro, MA 02666-0699
978-349-2413

These next two have the same director:

Gibson Harmonichoir
50 Holiday Circle,Chicopee MA  01020
413-592-7242

&

Golden Age  Harmonicats
50 Lawndale St., Chicopee MA  01013
413-534-1788

There is also much online help available:  YouTube teaching  videos (type in
_www.YouTube.com_ (http://www.YouTube.com)   and then do a  search for the
names) from people such as Adam Gussow, Ronnie Shellist,  Jason Ricci, etc. -
(some are advanced for a beginner..depending on  what style you wish to play).

I've found many teaching book/cd or DVD combos from on-line  sources....the
Mel Bay books, for instance.  They can be a good adjunct to  a hands-on
teacher. Most online music stores have books with DVD's one can  follow along with
the teacher.The trick is to know which instructor is  worthwhile.  I'm sure
people here will suggest their favourites.  Some  of the authors of these books
even post on this list:  Tom Ball, Glen  Weiser...probably others I can't think
of at the moment.

I've personally progressed to buying Hal Leonard's Book/CD's for Jazz with
which I play along.  But I'm primarily a chromatic player at the  moment.

Here's one on-line source you might try: _www.harmonicalessons.com_
(http://www.harmonicalessons.com)  - at least  you could narrow down what type/style of
harmonica and playing you wish to  pursue.

There are harmonica teachers who will give lessons via computer or  phone:
Dennis Gruenling and Michael Rubin (of this list) come to  mind.

Much good luck in your pursuit.

Elizabeth

Message: 8