Re: [Harp-L] amp and tone

======= At 2008-05-04, 08:21:01 Rainbow Jimmy wrote: =======
>I realized when I play amplified I tend to play pretty hard, trying to
>get that overdrive sound,. What I heard as shrill was actually me playing a
>little flat.

Or maybe some of both?  This is a helpful email for me because I never thought
through implications of having air pressure serve ~two~ functions during amplified
playing (loudness and amount of breakup) and mostly just loudness during acoustic play.
Could some of the shrillness be because reed excursion is near-maximal?

>I've been recording through the old 48 champ.

And I play through similar, 1x6" amps both live and recorded: usually a '52 Premier 50; sometimes a
'52 Champion 600.  An advantage of the Premier is a second knob for tone, so I can roll off shrillness.

>Another bit of trivia--I find, for me, octaves sound better with a nice
>crisp attack. Stacatto. Do the head shake if I want to sustain them. That
>might be because I'm using equal tuned harps.

Both equal and just temperaments, if accurate, have pure (beatless) octaves.