Re: [Harp-L] Playing Chromatics in all keys and the Paddy O'Brien method

On Mar 31, 2008, at 1:02 PM, Aongus MacCana wrote:

In my youth I was led to believe that a proper mouth organ player should be
able to play in any key on a C chromatic. Larry Adler then being the example
that any player should aspire to.

Yes, this is true, BUT Adler #1..knew what he was going to play BEFORE hand. #2..didn't go into too many odd ball keys. #3..would even change the key to suit himself. #4..was told on occasion that he was in the wrong key. #5 and, just like Jerry Murad, he didn't 'Jam'. (I don't think he could?). #6..he wasn't an improviser either. I'm sure there's more factors, but this is what came off the top of my head. Oh, I got one. He wouldn't play unless he was paid.

Since becoming acquainted with Harp-L of course I now realise that "Real
Players" must play in any key on a ten hole blues harp.

I don't believe that. I think the deal is to be able to play..period. The audience doesn't care. Just play for Sam & Janet (you know, the ones from Sam & Janet evening). They're the one's at table 7 who paid to be there. They're the ones likely to buy your CD. :)

However as I am
unlikely in this lifetime to achieve that particular holy grail, I am stuck
with the Chromatic in trying to put together a reasonable Irish Trad
repertoire.
Ninety percent of the tunes in O'Neill's "1001" are either in G or D with
most of the balance being in A. This means that using a G chromatic (my
current preferred weapon) I am off to a flying start, getting G tunes in
first position and needing only one sharp for D and two for A. (Lately I am
beginning to wonder if a D chromatic where I could get A in second position
and G in "minus second" would not be an even better choice.)

I would research this but Celtic is not my forte. O'Neill was probably playing in something called 'Dry Irish Tuning'. Don't know what that is. Maybe a Celt can chime in?

This is where the late Paddy O'Brien from Tipperary comes in. He was a
respected exponent of Irish music on the two row button accordeon - a device
with tuning not dissimilar from the chromatic harmonica. He is considered to
have revolutionised the playing of Irish music on the box by introducing in
the '50s' a much smoother style than that used by previous generations of
trad players. I have never been able to get anyone to explain exactly what
Paddy O'Brien's innovation was but I think it was to do with using both rows
of the two row box comprehensively instead of just using the second row for
finding the odd flats and sharps when necessary. This suggests that he
either selected a different tuned box (B/C, G/F#, C/C# or whatever?) to those
previously in general use or that he elected to play tunes in keys that
allowed him to use both rows and get runs that gave him the requisite notes
and tricky rolls in one direction instead of having to change from blow to
suck at an inappropriate time. Someone on this list mentioned that the
aforementioned Larry Adler used to be crafty in his selection of keys in
which to play tricky classical numbers with the same objectives in mind.

I think that was me. If you have a book of light classical tunes, you will notice that the keys don't mach up to Adler's keys. At least it isn't as practical on a C chromo. For example: Trisch Trasch Polka (Strauss) is a gallop polka that works beautifully on a C chromo IN C. The problem is that it is in F. It's doesn't work too well in F (on a C chromo). The Hora Staccato is in Eb. Luckily this one DOES work best in Eb..and (except for the speed), is not a nightmare. Der Zergunderweisen is tough to begin with, and was written for violin. It isn't real harmonica friendly. At least not with a C. His 'famous' rendition of Summertime is in Am and that's where he plays it. I happen to prefer a different key. Everyone has their own ceiling and floor. Adler was the best at what HE did. Not to everyone's taste, but still a legend.

Where all this is leading to is:
Does anyone on the list know who Paddy O'Brien was? (He emigrated to America
after making his first album!)
Does anyone know what his innovation was?
Last but not least has his method any likely application to Irish
Traditional Music on the chromatic harmonica?
Beannachtaí
Aongus Mac Cana