[Harp-L] Re: Subject: JJ Milteau's YouTube videos...'Rockin'/Charlie McCoy

SmoJoe gives me far too much credit :)

"> I've been a JJ Milteau fan since he produced the  Inspiration
> Albums...

Jacques is good. Kid can  play

> But  ...Wow, now THIS Jean Jacques Milteau video  ROCKS...
>
> _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEQ9iDNsrNY_
>  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEQ9iDNsrNY)
>
> ...and in this one  he breaks down Orange Blossom Special

I understand that most players on  OBS use an F and another harp
across the scale (like a C?). I use two  that are only 2 notes apart.
For instance: a D and a C. (The C is only needed  for those little 8
note snippets). I wonder how many ways there are to  play this tune?
What harps did Milteau use? Do you remember?

....I definitely see the C (on his main axe) ...but I'm afraid my  French
isn't that good when he rattles off what might be his description of the  second
harp he picks up (couldn't make out any identifying marks)....however Air
Mojo (Ken) of this list has written on the YouTube comments for the video that
he's pretty sure Jacques is playing both a C and a Low F....and that Charlie
McCoy uses a Bb and F to play it.

> (I may have posted it before)...so what if he's speaking  'en
> francais'?.

Easy for you to say. Inasmuch as you speak  Scottish, English,
(probably Gaelic) French, Itralian, German, and  maybe some Polish.
Ooooh, I almost forgot New York eese.

...umm, not 'quite'.  But thanks for the vote of confidence.  The  'Scots' I
understand (but rarely speak) really is more of a dialect/slang from  'Glesga'
(Glasgow - where I grew up).  No Gaelic at all (it's an  extraordinarily
difficult language). French was from my multi-lingual but  mostly French speaking
mother, followed by years of it in school; Italian  as well, but no German
except for the smattering I picked up from my  Stuttgart-born in-laws ...nor
Polish - have no real linguistic abilities  there at all. Probably know more
Spanish than I do either of the former, though  I wish I did have all those
languages.  However, do 8 years of  formal Latin studies count?  ;)

> ..music is the universal  language.  Of course..to my mind nobody
> will ever do it  better than Charlie
> McCoy, but this is a nice learning video.

 _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfLzLPsgZ_I_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfLzLPsgZ_I)

Charley  just did it Thurs at his birthday celebration. Kid can play.
Ain't  lost a thing.
smo-joe

I'm so envious (and admiring) of you getting to play with him.  He's a
genuinely nice and 'real' guy.  I was thrilled to get a front-row seat at  SPAH for
his performance three years ago (Kansas City)...his Shenandoah  (which he
dedicated to a recently departed friend) brought me to tears.

This must have been an incredible day you spent together.....I'm  only one of
many here who would love to hear about  it?

> Elizabeth

> Nemo me impune lacessit
> "music is my religion".....Jimi  Hendrix

Home.