Re: [Harp-L] Howard Levy overblows out of the box

Just because Howard can overblow ANY harp doesn't mean that everyone else has
the potential and   if they can't, they need to work more on their technique.
Howard could probably overblow a tin whistle. But then he's HOWARD.

Harps that work for overblows and overdraws have the "right" set up or reed
adjustment. It's not all pilot error if the technique doesn't work on a given
harp. I've got a box of new cheap harps (for a class) that just barely bend on
the first or second holes. I have a Hohner Bluesband -- Hohner's least
expensive harmonica in the U.S. It plays and bends effortlessly.

A properly set up hamonica overblows better than one that is not. And
nowadays, some firms make harps that work right out of the box.

That's the sense I got from several people who responded to my question who
are overblowers and know the difference. This explains why people who overblow
on a regular basis send their harps off to be tweaked. Their existing harps
will overblow; they just want them to overblow better.

These are what the experts from the Harp List   said:

One said: Another said: "The 1847 overblows decently on Holes 4, 5, and 6 out
of the box. For a harp that both overblows and overdraws out of the box,
Suzuki Fire Breath or Pure Harp might be better choices."

Another said: " Besides the 1847 I can overblow 4,5 and 6 on a Solist Pro and
Favorite and I'm not that good an overblower. The Seydel Big Six overblows 4
5 and 6. I can get some Marine Bands to do the same...."

A third said: "The Suzuki Fire Breath is IMHO the best stock harp when it
comes to
overbends. All OBs and all ODs work pretty good out of the box. The
Seydel 1847 is also pretty good with overblows.... Herings 1923 vintage harp
does not allow overbends as easily as the two mentioned above, but still it
works, same with the Hohner Classic
harps (MB/MBDL, SP20, Golden Melody)."

My buddy   was in a car accident and asked his doctor if he would be able to
overblow a harmonica after his recovery. The doctor assured him he could. "Hey
doc, that's great," my buddy said. "I couldn't even PLAY harmonica before the
accident."

As always, both individual technique and the adjustment of individual harps
play a part.