[Harp-L] Chromatic - playing in all keys

In theory, we should all learn to play in all 12 keys -- especially on the
chromatic where we don't have to worry about bends and overblows. But most of
us  don't have that kind of time.

 Even if we understand the layout of the chromatic harmonica and music
theory and how it relates to the harmonica and can sight read -- at half speed  or
less -- our way through some standard pop tunes, we soon realize the
limitations of the C chromatic. While in theory the C chromatic can "play" in  all
keys; it is no piano and it really can't.

I think Joe summed it up when he pointed out that using other keys of
chromatics often works better than the key the song is written in. IN other  words,
the A chromatic may not be the best harp for a song in the key of A. Joe
Leone seems to follow a Circle of 4ths (C of 5ths counterclockwise) in his  search
for the right harp.

This is another reason everyone should know the Circle of Fifths (which was
around a long time before somebody got the bright idea to base Blues Harp
Positions on it).

If a song requires a certain chord -- say an F chord -- not a broken chord
or arpeggio, you pretty much need an F harp to get it.

Another problem with the C chromatic is the note in hole No. 1. If you need
a note lower than C -- say a G or an A, you're out of luck and have to move
the  "music" up an octave -- which may ruin the timbre of the line.

And speaking of timbre; some songs just sound better in certain keys. And  if
that is the case, simply changing the key to "fit" the C harmonica because
"it doesn't lay right" may ruin the song. I love the key of A; sometimes the
key  of C is simply too bland.

For obvious reasons, (it's easy) most people only play in the key of C. For
my own sanity I would rather they switch harps to play in another key if only
to  keep my mind's ear from going numb.

I don't know if the 16-hole was ever available in other than special  order.
But its lack of availability may explain why few people play a  "transposing"
16-hole chromatic in a different than key of C -- even if they  want a greater
range.

This also would be true in the 12-hole models which seem to be available in
most keys.

And I don't pretend to know too much about the playability of the C
chromatic, but what little I know from stumbling around mine, there must be some
hellacious keys that are virtually impossible on the C chrome because you end up
pushing the button like a bicycle pump. And you don't have to go to the
extremes  of 6 flats or 6 sharps to get there.

And I don't advocate lots of positions for the chromatic. I use only one,
sitting down. Keys are what make the world go round.
Phil Lloyd

.

In a message dated 3/26/2008 8:12:41 P.M. Eastern Standard  Time,