[Harp-L] Customer Service for Harp Players!

One last thought occurred to me that I wanted to share, as a harp
player more than a business owner, which I think for this community
puts it all in perspective ... and to make it more on topic I'll tie
back into a earlier thread - jamming.

Imagine that you are in a house band at a blues bar, in a community
where there are lots of harp players on the sign up list every week.
There is this one guy, let's give him a brand name - Gus. For weeks
he's been coming to the gig and signing up, and you have given him
many chances to play. He has ok tone, and a couple of decent licks,
but about 20% of the time he blows wrong notes. Worse yet, he doesn't
know it, he can't hear or listen to himself, so he thinks his playing
is just fine. This is particularly annoying when he does that
screaming 9 hole blow / bend straight into the vocal mic at the wrong
time.

So how many more chances do you give Gus before you stop calling him
up to play? Gus even has a bunch of friends at the bar, who
apparently have been drinking with him all night, who come up to the
stage after he plays saying what a great harp player Gus is. Does
that make any difference at all the next time he comes to the jam?

Even to a harp player, customer service is everything! Customer
service is just what businesses call relationships. If you mistreat
your customers or your audience, your family or your friends, you'll
end up in a lonely place. Human beings need friends and family, when
we enter into businesses, we need customers. When we play harp, we
need an audience. So play nice!

Now, *that* really was my rant on this subject :-)

Thanks for listening,
- Robert
www.rawfoodlife.com

Be a better friend, newshound, and