RE: [Harp-L] EQ'ing for harp

Ron asked:
? I recently used a mixer that had 2 knobs for mids. I know that basically, harp players usually turn up bass and lower trebles, but what do ya'll do with your mids?
Hi Ron,
There's no instant answer to this, as it depends upon the room -- some rooms are bassier (and verbier) than others. Also depends on your mic, and whether you cup it or not. And whether you intend to sing through the same mic.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of different answers to this Q. But in general, when confronted with bass, treble and two mids, I always *start* by rolling off the treble to about 10 o'clock; rolling off the high mids to about 11 o'clock; boosting the bass to about 2 o'clock; and boosting the low mids to about 1 o'clock. Then I add reverb. (I'm not a fan of delay -- just 'verb. YMMV.)

At that point one just needs to test, test, test. Depending on the room and the other factors, the sound could be right on, or way off. But that's usually where I start from.

Inevitably you'll get it to where it sounds great during the soundcheck, but then the room fills up with people and the whole thing will sound completely different, anyway.... <shrug> Such is life. :)

luck & cheers,
Tom