[Harp-L] SPAH suggestion

David Fairweather writes:

I would like to see a seminar at SPAH this year on practice strategies,
chromatic and diatonic. I
know everyone has their own ideas, but I'd like to actually see someone
demonstrate exactly what
they do, not just talk about it. I've seen Jason Ricci do exactly that on a
small scale to a few
people around a table, but I'd like to see it done in a more formal presentation
and maybe in
separate sessions for chromatic and diatonic, maybe even with some group
participation in the
demonstrated exercises.

The *last* time SPAH was held in St. Louis, I was on the SPAH staff instead of my usual gig being part of Joe Filisko's teach-in. I hosted the jazz jams and gave a seminar. The seminar was on this very topic: practice strategies and methods. I asked Paul Davies if I would have a mic and a little PA. He said something to the effect of "You're not going to need anything like that. There will be maybe seven people." It was more like seventy - standing room only. I went way over the allotted time, and most of the audience stayed until the end. People are *hungry* for this. I think it's a great idea.

George