RE: [Harp-L] Just Intonation for Blues?

One way to deal with this is to tune a single reference draw note (Like Draw 2) something like 2 cents sharp, then tune all the draw notes in reference to that note.

One potential problem is that to keep your octaves in tune, this also means raising the draw notes that don't bend (or at least not much). Those notes may come out sounding sharp, and so will the octaves that include them.

For instance, you might tune Draw 3 and Draw 7 a bit sharp as a result of using a riased Draw 2 as a reference. If you habitually pull Draw 3 down a little bit, even when you're not trying to bend, and then you either play Draw 7 by itself or as an octave with Draw 3, the pitch is going to be higher (same goes for Draw 4/8 and 5/9). So your completely unbent, unadjusted (by playing technique, I mean) draw pitch has to be within the range of comfort, i.e., not too sharp.

Winslow

John Thaden <jjthaden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: Has anyone experimented with tuning the higher-pitched of the two reeds in every hole of an unvalved harp to a reference pitch of A=442 or 443 (since that reed's pitch can be flattened more easily) while tuning the lower-pitched of the two reeds to A=440 or 441?  I tried this awhile back but arrived at no clear conclusion.

John Thaden