RE: [Harp-L] Old Boys' Network

I've seen this "old boy network" a lot as well, having been to a lot of
jams in a lot of places. Sometimes I'm just glad I didn't get called up,
being a novice. This happened to me in vegas and other places.

But that doesn't make it right, I think it's against logic really, but I
understand the reasons. There's a big difference between "bar jams" and
the ones our blues society holds, which we usually shoot for places like
social clubs (VFW type places). And a host-band type jam versus ours,
which is 'pure open jam' (with a jam leader and sign up list).

When I'm running our jam, I want the new folks to get up *early* so we
can see what they have. The early sets tend to consist of:

1. Intermediate or novice musicians who want to get up before the place
gets crowded because they have less confidence or are just getting used
to playing in front of a crowd.
2. "better" musicians who want to help and support the folks in #1
above.

What happens is that the really hot-shot good players don't want any
part of those earlier sets, they want to wait by the bar, get juiced up,
wait till the chicks (or dudes) show up, and get into later sets with
other juiced up hot shot players. Those later sets are ripping, and the
last place a newbie wants to be! So if a new person shows up, if we get
them up early and see that they have chops, we know we can be
comfortable putting them back in later with the hotshots.

We treat everyone well - ask Reach and some of the other 'visitors'
we've had. Nobody gets bumped because of the "friends" network, we don't
allow it. Common respect/courtesy to other musicians. And there's plenty
of opportunity - our jam usually runs from 8pm to after midnight every
Thursday, 8 sets or so and the audience is so packed you can't move in
the place. Although when the BS you guys are describing happens, well
the music biz is cruel, we all know that. So anyone that runs jams, keep
it in mind. It can be awful discouraging to new folks to have to deal
with that kind of treatment.

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA