Re: [Harp-L] Greunling/Guyger Tour Last Night- playing the room

This does bring up another topic. How do you do this? If you have a good sound man it should work out, I would hope. But, in the absence of a sound guy it is pretty hard (in my very few experiences of this kind- you can count my public gigs on one hand) to know what volume will come across correctly. When I have gone in ahead of time to test the room it hasn't exactly guaranteed success. At my last performance, I had my wife act as the sound check person during the performance and just signal for more or less volume relative to the other players. Not exactly a sophisticated approach.
Just curious how you guys go about this.
Jon

IcemanLE@xxxxxxx wrote:
Musicians should learn to "play the room". In other words, really hear the acoustics/volume in real time and make adjustments, the room being another factor not to be ignored.
If the room is hard surface with a lot of reflected sound and natural echo, then play at an even lower volume to compensate.
The Iceman