Re: [Harp-L] Old Boys' Network

>>> "D Berger" <academys@xxxxxxxxxxx> 3/16/2008 11:06 AM >>>
I've played at a lot of open mikes and jams over the years
and I'm seen either as regular or a "known quantity"
by those running the jams im my local area.

I agree with much of what's been said about these sorts
of events, but here's my two cents:

$.01-  Last year I visited my in-laws in Wilmington
         NC-  found the local jam in a funky old place
          "the Rusty Nail"-  sign in sheet like a grid for each
          instrument (form your own band), well organized
          friendly-  great for an out of towner-
THE THIRSTY EAR IN COLUMBUS, OH DOES THE SAME THING AND I ENJOY THE JAM THERE MORE THAN IN MOST OTHER VENUES THAT USE THE CONVENTIONAL SIGN UP
Marvin Fleischman

$.02-  The only local blues club opened about 7 years
          ago, I was a regular for the open mikes and jam
           nights. I attended shows (Bill Perry, Little Sammy
           Davis- our local talent) to support live music
            The best musicians in the house on jam nights
           asked me to come up with them, but the owner,
           an excellent guitarist would often ignore me-
           the last night I went there, or will ever go there-
           he failed to get me up there on a real quiet night,
           I guess that's one reason his business is in trouble.

If you are new to a jam they do hold you off to later and
often they throw you up there into a train wreck (did
somebody say BAD Drummer!)
stick it out , don't denigrate others, stay out of the way
of the vocals, watch your cues to solo, listen to others
(like who is doing the fills) and have fun if there is a horn or two up
there!

Soon you'll up there with the A Team-  its a lot easier and more fun
playing with them!

Dan