Re: [Harp-L] Old Boys' Network

Then the jam leader says, "Oh man, I'd have got you up sooner if I knew you could play!"

Old boys' networks are highly underrated until we are part of them. Then they're really useful - strive to get in any such network that would benefit you. (This advice is not just for David Fertig, but for every member of this list including me. I tend to forget my best insights minutes after I hatch them.)

I think this discussion about sign-up jams is fantastically informative for the entire list. I would have to guess that lots of newer players would find these jams to be their best opportunities to play with (hopefully) good musicians in front of an audience, so it's best for such players to know they may encounter this kind of stuff.

Note to blues musicians: learning how to play in front of drunks is a useful skill. Learning how to enjoy doing it - well, I haven't seen that course in the catalog. But you WILL have to play for drunks throughout your nightclub career. (Almost everyone on this list knows that very, very well. I bring it up for the two or three who do not.)

And newer players who get the 1AM slot, even unfairly, should be glad they get to take their schooling in front of people who will not remember a thing.

However, if you (meaning anyone reading this) consider yourself the equal of the players in the Old Boys' net, remember that the only person who expects you to be any good is Mom - everyone else needs proof. Speak up. If you sign in for some jam time, ask if your early arrival will get you an early slot. Let them know, respectfully and in your most professional manner, that you're a knowlegeable player with years under your belt, and that you can really entertain a drinking audience. Let them know that you'd be willing to whip out your axe and play a few bars - don't just do it, be respectful and make the offer.

I presume there are two kinds of old-boy networks in the sign-in jam world. In one, the person running the jam wants to make sure the audience is entertained - and if you are as good as you think you are and the jam-runner gets to hear it, then you'll get an earlier slot. You're good for bidness.

But the other kind of network is about giving friends the good slots. If a jam-runner hears you and still gives you a crummy slot, try to blow the minds of whatever audience you get (including the musicians on the bandstand).

Life isn't fair to people who can't become friends with those jam-runners. If you can, then you're in his old boys' net and someone else gets 1AM. If the jam-runner is an ego-stuffed turkey, and you're still getting poorly slotted the next time you play this jam, you are going to have to pay more dues than it's worth to get a good slot.

If that's the case, find another club to run your own jams at.

Final note to newer harp players: don't go into these sign-in jams expecting the worst. Expect the best. The best happens more often than we usually expect.

Ken