[Harp-L] Review: Masco ME-18 Amp built by Harp-L member Jim Rossen

I'd like to report on the Masco ME-18 amp I bought from Harp-L member
Jim Rossen.  These old 1950s-era Masco PA heads are legendary harp
amps, and Jim's work on it is first class.  He completely serviced the
amp, including replacing all the capacitors and b+ dropping resistors.
 He redressed the wiring and used shielded cables to minimize noise
and maximize tone.  It came with a quarter-inch input for a harp mic,
two quarter-inch speaker outputs (4 and 8 ohms), and two big 6L6 coke
bottle power tubes.  The amp is in overall beautiful condition.  When
Jim shipped the amp to me it was packed better than any piece of gear
I have ever bought, new or used.

I consider myself very fortunate to have this amp.  Jim does not crank
them out… As I understand it this is more of a hobby.

How does it sound?  It sounds exactly as Jim said it would:  Huge
bottom end and fat, textured tone. I would stack this amp up against
any other, bar none.

For several years I lived within two miles of Skip Simmons.  I've been
to his farm a few times.  I've even met with Skip at his bridge.  Skip
did some work on my vintage tube amps, and he loaned me a Newcomb
E-10B tube amp he had built for harp.  I've played his Masco amps, and
they sound fantastic. The Masco amp I bought from Jim Rossen is at
least equal to Skip Simmons's amps in sound and performance.  It is
one of the best-sounding harp amps I have ever heard.

I bought the Masco from Jim for a fraction of what you would normally
pay for such a fine amp.  I added an Avatar 2x10 closed-back cab,
Weber and Jensen speakers, and Weber Beam Blocker diffusers.  This
harp rig blows away most boutique combo amps costing 2 to 3 times as
much.

Of course, I have no connection to Jim Rossen's amps except I am a
very enthusiastically satisfied buyer.  Jim is not aware I am writing
this.  I hope he does not mind.

Thank you, Jim.  I strongly recommend Jim's Masco amps to anyone
thinking about moving up to an elite harp amp, for a lot less money.