Re: [Harp-L] Fender Blues Jr-NOS

Get a bunch of 12a * 7's and try them out.  Every tube has a different
voice.  Even different 12ax7's from the same maker have a different voice.
I go to radio swap meets and buy bunches of tubes.  And then try them one at
a time.  (after putting them in my tube tester - I am an oldtime shortwave
radio geek)  Some tubes sound better than others. and will sound different
in different amps.  Actually, I believe they are all alive and have their
own things to say. Just like every one of us.

I also believe you can't get GREAT tone in a tube amp without Great tubes.
And I know this might spark a war on here with them that can't tell the
subtle differences.  But there's a reason why folks pay mucho dinero for
vintage Mullards and stuff.

And I acknowledge that certainly the many many people in any audience really
can't tell the difference.  They can't tell the difference between Early
Times and Old Mr. Boston in their Coke.  Nuff said.

The drunkards in the audience can tell when your amp is feeding back, tho.

Anyway, I play with my amps.  I play with my Harps.   I play with my
guitars.  I play with my life.   I play with my tools.  Work sux.  Play is
better.  Speshly when you're werkin. =8^D

I found that the old milspec WWII 12au7's sound really nice in class A amps
for harp.  Can turn it up alot before it sarts to squeal and has a warm
growl.  I found a really nice 12AY7 that's in the clean channel of my Super
Reverb, where I play harp.  And some 12AX7A Sylvania's from the early '60s
that really make my Strat sound like I like it.  But it took some swapping
to find the sound I like.

And That's the crux.  What I like.

What you like.

Find out what you like.

And the next time I come home from a radio swap meet, I'll be playing with
my amps again. <Grin>

PEACE
Scott
Believe in Magic!