[Harp-L] NY's #1 Premier Kickass Band (was: Little Walter Hall of Fame Induction Online Footage)

     I guess trainwrecks can happen anywhere, to anyone. I'm sure you noticed the derailment that was the first tune featured on this otherwise wonderful Hall of Fame footage (Who created the great documentary?).
     Here's what happened:  James Cotton started the 12-bar instrumental with an abbreviated (8-bar) intro; "NY's #1 premier kickass band" (the MC's words) ~totally~ missed this.  And then never adjusted!  I was surprised they actually found the ending.
     They may be a kickass band, but I'm sorry, as accompanists, they completely blew it.  Does anyone NOT think it was this band's, and particularly, the bass player's, responsibility to flex and adjust? That instead it was James Cotton's job?
     On the second tune, My Babe, does anyone besides me wish they were within arm's reach of Ben Harper's amp power cord about the time he interrupted Cotton's solo?  Lots of musicians up there, just not enough ears, IMHO.
     More generally, I'm interested in your views on whether, and when, a rehearsed song's structure should be adjusted, on the spot, by a band when it becomes clear the featured singer or instrumentalist is at a different place in the structure.  I think the answers are 'yes', and 'almost always', and it just doesn't matter who is 'right'.  At that point, the major job is to prevent a train wreck, and if the featured player is elsewhere, the band needs to get there too.  Just my 2 cents.
Respectfully,
John Thaden

Christopher Sprankle <crsprankle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaqTyDC0TZg

Chris