Re: [Harp-L] Igor Flach and the 1847 Silver

Hmmm....."Bottom line: with the exception of the cheap U.S. automotive
bumpers
of the past, it's real hard....real real hard to beat chrome. No one
seems to be allergic to it."
                 ............well, not physiologically, Joe; but
speaking for myself, I have an aesthetic allergy to chrome. Just can't
handle the cold blue look of it. Nickel is prettier and softer. Kind
like the difference between a peroxide blonde and an all-natural
strawberry.
Cheers,
RD

On Mar 10, 2008, at 7:05 PM, Rick Dempster wrote:

> 'Nickel' is a 'base' (is that the right word?) metal - yes? I mean,

> not
> an alloy.

Nickel is an elemental heavy metal. I don't remember it's number on
the valence chart.

> Is chrome an alloy of nickel and something else?

Chrome is chromium. It is also a real bona-fide element

> and does
> stainless steel contain nickel?

Yes, stainless is an alloy NOT an element. It is an amalgum or alloy
of several metals.

> Somehow I felt that nickel, chrome and
> stainless steel were all related.

No, they aren't, BUT Chromium is generally electroplated over nickel
which is electroplated over a base of copper. The reasoning is fairly

basic. It all has to do with the number of electrons in the outer
orbit of an element. Copper is a good base because it can stick onto
steel with it's 2 outer orbit atoms bonding or 'knitting' into the 6
outer atoms of the steel. Then copper is maleable ( soft ) enough and

porous enough to take a flash plating of nickel. The nickel is then
buffed and polished to a high sheen and the chromium is used as a
'sealer'. The nickel is actually the shimmering shine and reflexion
and the chromium is the 'glazing' coat giving a very hard shell
surface which is extremely slippy and long wearing (if done right).

That's why I never condoned silver plating for mouthpieces on
chromos. It just isn't necessary. My God, chromium is used to coat
(better) gun barrels. Not much out there can beat it's slippyness.

Stainless can also be buffed to a high lustre but is not as hard as
chromium and since it contains a LOT of nickel, it has approx the
same wearability.

Base metal/pot-metal/white-metal are all amalgums of mostly zinc and
some other metals.

German silver is a misnomer that has been around hundreds of years.
Some crafty merchant came up with it to lend esteem to HIS wares. The

word silver connotes something of value. Used mostly on gun parts,
flatware, table acoutrements, personal hygiene items and anything
where a 'trimmy' appearance was desired (i,e, hair brush), was made
with this stuff.

I only added that little sentence to Frank's post to make people
aware that German silver....isn't. I certainly wasn't correcting
anyone as there was nothing to correct. His post was correct AS
stated and read. I have also seen these types of adds. I already
spoke with Frank.

> I suppose I could look this up
> somewhere but I might leave it to Smo-joe & Winslow to battle it
out.

There really isn't anything to battle. Now most would say that
regarding this subject "Who GIVES a.....". In actuality, some people
(not me) are allergic to nickel, brass (because of the zinc), base
metals, lead, mercury, tin, molybdenum, uranium, and a few dozen
other metals. Most people are NOT allergic to stainless, silver,
copper, gold.

I think Igor Flach was allergic to brass (probably because of the
zinc). Maybe he wouldn't have been with bronze (it is copper & tin).
Hey, I don't know.

Bottom line: with the exception of the cheap U.S. automotive bumpers
of the past, it's real hard....real real hard to beat chrome. No one
seems to be allergic to it.

smo-joe