Re: [Harp-L] Blues Scale / Shapes

On Mar 8, 2008, at 7:23 AM, MundHarp@xxxxxxx wrote:

It seems to me that there are two ways of playing music. One is by playing what is written, and the other is by improvisation. It has NOTHING to do with being illiterate!

Oops. Touched a sensitive spot. I wasn't talking about improvisation vs reading. Neither were my comments directed at you personally. Sorry if it seemed that way. Rather, I was observing a phenomenon in blues harp culture in which people celebrate illiteracy and ignorance in the name of freedom and of imitating the creators (most of whom, given the choice would have opted for the education).

There's a big difference between a musician like you who has the education and chooses to express his ideas through improvisation and the players who can sort of fake their way through a 24 measure solo because everyone else on the bandstand actually understands the form and adheres to it.

Maybe I've been to too many jam sessions and have had too many students like that. Think about it. How many advanced beginner to intermediate players complain of running out of ideas for their solos. Why? Because they've copied few licks and apply them to every situation without understanding how the music works. The same five or six licks, no matter how heart felt they're played just get monotonous for the audience. And when you ask those same people to play without accompaniment, they quickly lose the form.

We have a FANTASTIC oboe player... But when Matthew Jones the music director suggested she "busk" a 12 bar solo, the reply was "you must write out the music for me, I don't "busk". She is a GREAT musician, but has NEVER improvised, after many years as a world class player.

From what I know about classical music and musicians, this is not unusual. But as you said elsewhere, the orchestra culture does not support this. Maybe our Robert Bonfiglio can weigh in on this?

Most but not all jazz and blues players "make it up" as they go along. It has NOTHING to do with their standard of education!

Make it up as they go along isn't quite right. Yeah they're not reading sheet music and not playing the same exact notes every time BUT you can bet most of the best improvisors have devoted countless hours to scales and arpeggios and theory and technique. You can also bet that they step on stage with a conceptual frame work within which they will play. Good improvising doesn't happen in a vacuum.

I believe you don't have to be poor and black to play the blues. We are all human beings made in the image of God! (IMHO)

I don't think that's what I said--at least that's certainly not what I intended to say. The blues is a form of music that is about the expression of feelings IMHO. No one group has ownership over its use. Don't know about you but when I sing and play the blues, I feel no need to apologize to anyone that I'm white, middle-aged and educated. As my old friend Earring George used to say, "Everybody get the blues. Even the president." The difference between the technician who can play the notes and the bluesman is the latter opens his heart for all to see and hear.

That's my .59 worth. But it's all good mate. Be true to yourself. Have a good time. And have a pint or two or three or . . . . If we lived closer I'd do the buying. :-)

Bob