Re: [Harp-L] Blues Scale / Shapes

bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<fill in the blank
harmonica hero from the 50s were  mostly poor, uneducated, and probably
illiterate as well as  untutored in music.  They were illiterate by
circumstance not  choice.  It is a testimony to their genius that they
were able  to create and organize and perform such amazing music with
so few  tools.  But most of us aren't geniuses.>>

It seems to me that there are two ways of playing music. One is by playing
what is written, and the other is by improvisation. It has NOTHING to do with
being illiterate!

Over the past few years, I have been regularly performing with a 25 piece
orchestra, mostly playing "middle of the road" stuff, like "Carpenters" "Dusty
Springfield" songs and so on. The music is all written and  printed out, using
a fantastic computer program "Sibelius". But any music  director who takes me
on as a "sideman", will just have to accept me, the  harmonicist,  as an
"improviser". I'll never play a solo the same way  twice. Please understand, I
personally come from a jazz and blues tradition;  although my mother was an opera
and leider soprano. So I was brought up in a  classical music environment.

I'm NOT saying that one way is better than another, if a musician is  playing
complex music in an orchestra, the "dots" HAVE to be followed, or chaos
occurs.

 We have a FANTASTIC oboe player... But when Matthew Jones the music
director suggested she "busk" a 12 bar solo, the reply was "you must write out  the
music for me, I don't "busk". She is a GREAT musician, but has NEVER
improvised, after many years as a world class player.

Well, I am not illiterate, but I ALWAYS busk my solos.

I use the written music as a guide.

Most but not all jazz and blues players "make it up" as they go along. It
has NOTHING to do with their standard of education! I believe you don't have to
be poor and black to play the blues. We are all human beings made in the
image  of God! (IMHO)

Kind regards,
John Walden
London
England

AKA
Dr V.J.Walden, FFA FILSA MBA DBA PhD
(But as a blues man I don't usually admit it!)