[Harp-L] Should the blues scale be revised?

Blues scale?  What is that, like 40 cents an hour?

OK, this hits home for me.  Caution: verbose heresy below:

There is no blues scale.

I think "blues" music arose at least partially from a gumbo of microtonal and polyrhythmic musical cultures brought together largely by the evil transatlantic slave-trade, which african musical olio was then extruded through american church organ pipes and mixed with musical notions and instruments from celtic, latin, caribbean and south american cultures, etc., etc.

I would argue the so-called blues scale is a construct of contemporary western musical classification (thanks in part to WC Handy?) which approximates classic/popular blues structures, so they could be shared, copied and marketed.

But if you listen to people such as Leadbelly, Son House, Liba Cotton, Josh White, John Lee Hooker, you'll hear they didn't have much of an orthodoxy as to structure, scales, bar-counts, they just played the blues from their guts, with at times very loose structures, anyway they made music that expressed their own hearts without too much regard for A440/12-bar/1-4-5 flatted-seventh blah blah blah.

Frankly, while many people make wonderful music with elements of blues in them, to me it just ain't blues if it's chiefly a construct of the intellect.

As early as I can remember (some great blues artists often visited my family's home in my early youth, and since) I first felt the blues as a soulful cry of human emotions, the whole pallet, as though fully formed from the soul and guts of the person making the sound.

As an infant, literally, and since, I've looked into the faces of people playing their honest personal blues and felt the deep, ancient, private, tragic, beautiful, loving, terrible, yawning abyss of personal pain and hope and endless beauty and  life and death and more hope and in the end, lots of humor and pathos though an unvarnished, pure and unfiltered mode of immediate and honest musical expression.

So I never learned the d@mned "blues scale" until I started playing with musicians who went by it, and frankly, I still don't buy it, it's like saying one can paint Monet by numbers and create something.

Oh, sure, I do play traditional blues progressions, it makes it easier to jam with others who aren't as adventurous or crazy, but I am reminded of bassist Ron Perry (John Lee Hooker's bassist for like 18 years) comment that John would play progressions of 3 bars, then 8, 11, 5, 17, whatever, or he'd go off on some bent melodic tangent, and the band would just chase him around and keep it together, creating a unique piece of beautiful and real blues in the moment.

Now, paint-by-numbers is pretty cool if you want to make something that looks like someone else's soul, and blues scales are guides that enable people to sound like they're playin' blues, but what about people playing what is in their own heart?

Not to suggest people who play blues "by the numbers" are - or sound - particularly less beautiful for it, just less immediate and heartfelt.  If they're worryin' about hitting "right" notes or rhythms, it can operate as a filter of their soul.

And for a whopping 40 cents an hour, I want the real, unfiltered thing!

-Dave Fertig