Re: [Harp-L] Re: those crazy Koreans

On Mar 2, 2008, at 11:45 AM, James Thurgood wrote:

Hmmm - I see I should have been more careful how I
worded my post.

No, your wording was fine and I DID understand it exactly AS posted. I always understand your posts. They are very concise and clean, with very little room for misinterpretation(s). (unlike me...lol)

  I didn't mean to imply that I thought
the ensemble is actually playing the music of a
soundtrack;

I knew that, I was only offering my opinion based on having seen the movie numerous times. I absolutely can't stand Robin Williams as a standup comedian OR in a general conversation with show hosts, etc. His wild gyrations and maniacal animations drive me completely up the wall, but I have to admit that in an acting situation (where he is reigned in), he can do some mighty fine work.

I feel he should have won an oscar for Popeye (an otherwise ignored movie). Also, I do all of the songs from the movie.

I meant that it is the TYPE of music that
showed up in the background of Popeye cartoons ...

Yes, I understood that. And I wholeheartedly agree. Many of the earlier cartoons were interspersed with what I would call a 'rag-time/ classical/circus' type of musical background (as many cartoons ARE), and I find that observation of yours to be astute.

Perhaps not exactly a noteworthy observation, but
there you go  ... (insert Popeye laugh here) ...

MY biggest sadness was that the video was only around 38 seconds. With all the other crap on you tube. I could have used a little more of this type of 'red bull' pickmeup. :)

Sorry If I sounded like I was debating anything. I was actually agreeing...but then, 'I' am the one with the ambiguous expressiveness. Anyway, I'm straying too far from the subject and FJM is starting to look at me oddly.

smo-joe

- thurg

--- Joe and Cass Leone <leone@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ok, first the video starts out with rag-time from
around the 20s,
then at 17 goes into the hornpipe used in Popeye
cartoons. Then at 25
it goes into 'Sailing Sailing', and at 32 goes back
into the
hornpipe. I don't recognize the rag from the
cartoons.

Note: Nothing is from the movie Popeye.

smokey-joe