Re: [Harp-L] Virtual Hole Technique gets Scientific!!!

If the second partial were as strong as the first, you'd definitely hear an octave.

But under what special circumstances would you get such an abnormally strong second partial? Usually when you play the harmonica, you don't hear it as producing two notes an octave apart. Fooling the ear with surrounding circumstances (the surrounding notes are played as octaves, so this non-octave note is heard as an octave as well) is one thing. Getting a measurable result is quite another, so the question to investigate is, how come? (Could your test equipment be delivering a false or distorted result?)

As to the other notes you're getting when playing two notes together, you might want to read up on difference notes and combination tones.