[Harp-L] Re: Blues Birdhead

"As you re obviously a good studier of techniques, have you heard this
one done before?"

Not identified & explained as you have done here Joel. I recognise the
sound and effect from some of the old pre-war players (possibly Kyle
Wooten, just off the top of my head) You are absolutely right; playing
the major 7th on draw 7 and....well....whatever it is on the top (the
ghost hole 11- but what is it in fact? draw 10? that would be an A and a
B sounded together - I'll have a closer listen to your clip when I can
get 5 mins peace) - does create - hmm...not an optical illusion, but an
aural illusion, of the major 7th at the top.
Now if this could only be done to get the major 7th in 2nd position in
the middle octave without overblowing, re-tuning, half-valving,
slide-pushing, etc. etc. Great idea! Maybe you were a shaman in another
life!
I use a very deliberate (tongue blocked)  draw 6-9 alternating with a
blow 6-8 for an augmented 7th in first position on the VI chord (ie an
A7th chord played in relation to the key of C, which modulates
beautifully to the D7th)) Now this is often heard when someone is
clumsily trying to stagger through a 'rag' style progression,clearly not
really knowing what they are doing, but if you grasp what it really
means and use it in full consciousness of what you are doing, as you
have done here, then the thing becomes very powerful. The same goes in
2nd pos by using blow 2-4,(alternating with draw 1-3) 5-7(alternating
with drw 4-7) or 8-10  to get an augmented E7th, which modulates to the
A7th. You cant get a decent A or  E chord, but the augmented is just
sitting there and sounds great. I pinched these ideas off the great Gwen
Foster.
Cheers,
RD

>>> "Joel Thomas" <theloveboxquartet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 25/06/2008 23:46

Hi Rick,
yes, found it, unmistakably the 6 blow D note to the F overblow note
on
6 hole (and back again) on a G harp.
That's it then..the first recorded overblow....amazing.

As you are obviously a good studier of techniques, have you heard this
one done before?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn_0p4C4TtM

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gUdVrv4kg4U

Cheers,