[Harp-L] Painted v Shiny coverplates

I never thought about it before, but I share your perception about the relative volume of heavy coverplates. But most of these are completely open in the back which should also increase volume. Unlike the experience of you and others, I've never been bothered by the relative slipperiness or lack thereof of shiny/painted coverplates. (different strokes for different folks). Harp players don't talk about coverplate design all that much. Not like electric guitar players, for example, who use and discuss different pickups as they affect tone, and how we harp players discuss mics and amps with such regularity.
Vented covers (for example, Marine Band, Big River ) have a different tone than unvented covers (for example, old and MS Meisterklasse, Suzuki Hammod/Promaster, Golden Melody). Neither is better or worse, just different, depending on what the player likes and the player's style. But there has not been much discussion of these differences which I, for one , consider important. After all. once a player develops more than rudimentary technique, what is more important to a player than tone with all its subtleties? And the design of the instrument affects tone in a significant (though subtle ) way.
JP